Skip to main content

Speaking of money, again.

 "I'm addicted to cash"

-Lady Donli.




Credit: Pinterest.


Welcome back to the dom! If you're new here, feel free to buy a bottle of champagne and send me the invoice. No, I will not pay for it, but humor me anyway. 


How are you doing? Really, I want to know. Leave a comment and let me know how you are. Until then, I hope you have been well. I cannot stop apologizing for leaving you high and dry and I'll try to do better, but you know these things take time. So, please forgive me. 


Today's blog post interests me a lot. I know I say this all the time, but walk with me. Remember that time I wrote about money? A lot of you reached out to tell me about your experiences, and I promised myself I'll keep updating you as often as I can. Well, it's time. 


So here goes, speaking of money again. 


In Lady Donli's hit song, Cash, she expresses her immense love for money in a way that lets you understand how her relationship with it is, even if you have never encountered or experienced it. 


Well, thanks to Donli, I have also realized that I'm addicted to cash.

I have also found that I have quite an unhealthy relationship with it. Let me paint a clearer picture. I grew up in Lagos, the commercial capital of Nigeria. I know how money works, how to make it, how to spend it, how to save it, and whatnot. To cap it all, I'm an accounting major, so when I say I know my stuff, believe me, I do.


In this part of the world, we believe experience is the best teacher. While this may apply in a couple of scenarios, it is not always so in most cases. Sometimes, it pays to have a guide or some sort of heads up as opposed to being thrown into the world to figure out everything on your own. 


No one ever tells you the important things about money. It's always the mundane and unimportant things they offer. 

Like how money is the root of all evils, and how money cannot buy you time or happiness. 


Take me, for example, my first interaction with money shaped the foundation of what I now see money as. As a child, money was a tool. It was the thing I stretched to the store woman anytime I wanted Goody-Goody. It was what my mum gave the cashier at Mr. Biggs whenever she took us out. Money got me all these things I wanted and as far as my 5-year-old self was concerned, that was all. 

Hence, for the longest time, money was nothing but a transactional tool. 


My second encounter with money was in primary school. The school's bursar walked into my class with a list of pupils whose parents hadn't paid their fees. At that moment, I realized money was more than a Goody-Goody ticket. Money was powerful, and it was the difference between the children who were sent home and the ones who stayed back. 

So I told myself that money was the key to staying in places I wanted to be in. Like a pass, or a ticket, more like a key. 


My third and most significant encounter was some years ago. A friend made a spontaneous decision that I thought was foolish. In her defense, she could afford to and that's when I realized that the most valuable thing money can buy you is time, and when you have time, you have options. 


My idea of money has shaped my relationship with it, how I treat it, how I make it, and how I spend it. A relationship that I have found is very toxic and unsustainable. 

When I think of money, I literally panic. Because I have drawn a parallel line between money and these three things, I constantly try to make more of it just so I never run out of options, lose access, or cannot afford a necessity. 

It's ironic how the more I try to, the more I fail at it.

Last month, I found I was matching my worth against my finances and that was the final red flag. 


How do you even get to a place where, if you have money, you're happy and feeling fulfilled? And if you don't, you are having panic attacks, making terrible financial decisions, and talking yourself down? 


How do you get to a point where you are obsessing so much about money? 


These are questions I'm currently asking myself as I embark on this journey to detaching and untangling myself, twine after twine from this toxic relationship I have with money. 

I want to do better with my money. I want to find a balance somewhere between making sure I have enough of it and not losing myself in it.

I want to earn a lot more because I want to spend a lot more, but the goal is to find myself as I find money and not lose one to another. 


So cheers!

To unlearning destructive behavior and relearning wholesome ones.

To healthier relationships please, 

With everything and everyone.


Love, 

Chief. 

Comments

  1. As for how I am, I'm coasting. Hostels have been opened for clinical students, but doctors are on strike. I have a test hanging over my head, but the department hasn't said anything (possibly because of the strike). I should be reading for the test but oh well. God dey.
    About the crazyy relationship with money, I can relate. I've been there. And I wasn't able to stop until I faced a soul crushing disappointment. For the first time in my life, I was working harder than ever before and I wasn't seeing the fruit of my labor. That was what forced me to take SEVERAL steps back and just cool off. I'm still convinced that I'm going to be rich and I'm going to live a good life. But I'm learning to be okay with the fact that it may not happen right now. I'm learning to be okay with the fact that I CANNOT AFFORD SOME THINGS NO MATTER HOW GOOD/PRETTY THEY ARE! And I don't need to bust my ass trying to figure out how to get them. I'm learning to be okay with the fact that I may have to learn many more skills/habits/disciplines before the money starts coming the way I want.
    I'm learning to be okay with where I am. And a big part of that was God's intervention.

    So you'll be fine. A whole Chief! Actor no dey ever die for film!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daalu nne❤️. I hope your test goes well when it eventually happens. Feels a lot better to know I'm not the only one 😂 but more importantly, I really love how you have handled it so far. You're right! Actor no dey die for film 😂 and we'll definitely be rich.
      Take care of yourself ❤️

      Delete
  2. This was a much needed and relatable piece. I really hope I unlearn the destructive behaviour as soon as possible😭

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Call me Chief.

"Enjoy your life, make sure say you dey always chop life "- Anon. Hello, it's so good to meet you. I'm super excited to finally start this blog after years of procrastinating.   We're meeting for the first time so let me tell you a bit about myself. Contrary to what the title says, my first name is Esther. Other people call me Jacqueline but in this space I'll prefer Chief so please, indulge me.  I think I'm quite opinionated, vocal and maybe interesting . I make jokes and some of them fly, others don't but some people will swear my humour is my best feature. I've lived in Lagos, Nigeria all my  life . I like to consider myself a proper, streetwise Eko girl but I guess the jury is still out on that one.  I'm passionate about women's rights and equality. It's something I'll never ever compromise.  Before the world came to a stop, I was a university student , in her second year studying Accounting.   Sometimes I'm an entrepreneur,

Half time !

Hello YOU! Welcome back to the dom. I'm excited to have you back in our space . Did you bring a friend? I really hope you did. If you didn't, just know I'm judging you right now. 2020 has been such an interesting year. By interesting I mean pretty dramatic and we're just halfway into the year. This year came with a lot of baggage, I think we can all affirm that . We've been through a whole lot collectively. Some of us have fought mental and emotional battles, maybe we won , maybe we didn't , but hey ! We fought . And every other day, we still stay fighting.  When you fight everyday, some days you don't feel up for the battle . For me that day is today . I've lost so much time this year, so much money too. I've had a lot of rejection emails in my inbox , a lot of opportunities I missed and a lot of emotional energy I've lost.  I almost feel like I'm maxed out.  But I've come to realize that sometimes, all you need is a break. It might not

Speaking of Money

"When it comes to Money I dey concentrate" - Burna boy (Yè). The whole idea of money is weird.  I know all there is to know about how it works and all of the "lessons" attached but I still don't get it. I don’t understand how something so valuable can be contained in the most inconsequential form and not lose its value. It doesn't even need a physical currency anymore and it is the singular most important thing in the world. Money doesn't make sense to me but I love it anyway. The fact that I woke up one day in this world (Nobody asked for my permission by the way) and I'm supposed to do whatever to make this money just to get by and live a soft life until the day I drop dead? This is the concept I don't agree to but today is not the day for arguing economical constructs.  Now, the major issue I have with money is how we address it. Nobody ever tells you what you need to know about money, at least, not the important things. For something so vital