Skip to main content

Speaking of Money





"When it comes to Money I dey concentrate"

- Burna boy (Yè).


The whole idea of money is weird.  I know all there is to know about how it works and all of the "lessons" attached but I still don't get it. I don’t understand how something so valuable can be contained in the most inconsequential form and not lose its value. It doesn't even need a physical currency anymore and it is the singular most important thing in the world. Money doesn't make sense to me but I love it anyway.

The fact that I woke up one day in this world (Nobody asked for my permission by the way) and I'm supposed to do whatever to make this money just to get by and live a soft life until the day I drop dead? This is the concept I don't agree to but today is not the day for arguing economical constructs. 

Now, the major issue I have with money is how we address it. Nobody ever tells you what you need to know about money, at least, not the important things.

For something so vital and powerful, we rarely ever hear the truth about money. People often speak of how money is the root of evil and how the love of money will ruin you but almost never answer the real questions about money. 

 Like why do I actually need money? Or 

What exactly can money buy me?

Because I'm benevolent like that, I'll share the answers I found that have satisfied me about money and hopefully, they'll resonate with you.

I need money because I find it extremely hard to imagine my existence without it. Everything I love and care about is somehow linked to having a lot of money. Even the people.

The list of what money can buy me is endless but the most important thing is options. Money buys you choices. Choices may take a while to make but guess what ? Money buys you time too.  If you have a lot of money, you can afford to spend your youth exploring, chasing your passion even if it doesn't translate to income. Now that is a luxury other people cannot afford.

I detest that I didn't have so much correct information about money before now. I detest that somehow we have allowed ourselves believe that by questing for money we've lost the plot. 

I have seen people's lives change for better and worse because their money dynamic changed. Don't let anyone project their insecurities and inadequacies about money on you. Allow yourself long for something that can make your life here easier and stress-free.


Make that money legitimately and share with your Chief.


February 2021.

Music: Currently, I'm listening to Trumpet by Burna boy and Davido. (Ever since I found this song I have told everyone who cared to listen that they have a song together. Incase you didn't know, check it out. You're welcome.)

Feelings: Currently, I'm feeling very estactic because I'll be older in a few weeks. I have written a wishlist too😉. https://www.thingstogetme.com/176379acc8f3

Thoughts: Currently, I'm thinking about my friendships and how I have navigated through the many dynamics over the years.  I'm basically reflecting on how to be a better friend.

Projections: Nothing has changed here. I'm still looking forward to totally removing myself from the shackles of the Nigerian system please. 


Till next time,

Your (almost +1) Chief.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Call me Chief.

"Enjoy your life, make sure say you dey always chop life "- Anon. Hello, it's so good to meet you. I'm super excited to finally start this blog after years of procrastinating.   We're meeting for the first time so let me tell you a bit about myself. Contrary to what the title says, my first name is Esther. Other people call me Jacqueline but in this space I'll prefer Chief so please, indulge me.  I think I'm quite opinionated, vocal and maybe interesting . I make jokes and some of them fly, others don't but some people will swear my humour is my best feature. I've lived in Lagos, Nigeria all my  life . I like to consider myself a proper, streetwise Eko girl but I guess the jury is still out on that one.  I'm passionate about women's rights and equality. It's something I'll never ever compromise.  Before the world came to a stop, I was a university student , in her second year studying Accounting.   Sometimes I'm an entrepreneur,

Half time !

Hello YOU! Welcome back to the dom. I'm excited to have you back in our space . Did you bring a friend? I really hope you did. If you didn't, just know I'm judging you right now. 2020 has been such an interesting year. By interesting I mean pretty dramatic and we're just halfway into the year. This year came with a lot of baggage, I think we can all affirm that . We've been through a whole lot collectively. Some of us have fought mental and emotional battles, maybe we won , maybe we didn't , but hey ! We fought . And every other day, we still stay fighting.  When you fight everyday, some days you don't feel up for the battle . For me that day is today . I've lost so much time this year, so much money too. I've had a lot of rejection emails in my inbox , a lot of opportunities I missed and a lot of emotional energy I've lost.  I almost feel like I'm maxed out.  But I've come to realize that sometimes, all you need is a break. It might not