Skip to main content

Don’t disgrace me .


"Disgrace na the national cake, everyone must chop him own".


I read somewhere that the universal language that every person in the world understands is a smile. I agree. However, I think the one thing that we share in common is our ‘fear’ for disgrace. Collectively, everyone detests disgrace . We all have this resentment for anything that might "stain your white" . This is what motivates us to be the very best at whatever we do. Maybe it’s not exactly the dominant reason, but you’ll agree with me that a lot of decisions we make are fueled by the necessity to have an edge over everything and everyone else including disgrace. You don’t have to agree, but pretend you do. 


The very first time I heard the phrase “Don’t disgrace me” was from my mother. It was my birthday and we had gone out as a family. My mum, my brother, my sister and I went to eat at Mr Biggs. I was about 6 years old and I was about to dig both my hands into my food when my mother screamed “Stop that, don’t disgrace me in public. Use your cutlery”. Well, I'm proud to tell you that ever since I've proceeded to countlessly disgrace myself. 

When I started this blog, I wrote so many drafts waiting for the perfect blog post to come . Then, one night I told myself that the worst thing that could happen would be that I'll be a terrible blogger,  nobody will read it and I'd probably look for something else to do. I'll probably be embarrassed that I failed as a blogger and that'll be it.

You see, disgrace is inevitable. One way or the other, you're going to encounter disgrace. Embrace it, don't be afraid because you'll learn from it. What other people's stories and even your experiences have refused to teach you, disgrace will teach you.

I'm not encouraging you to roll in the mud or anything ( you're already a Nigerian, it really doesn't get muddier ). All I'm saying is test the waters, try out new things. You're young and vibrant now, all your mistakes will count as youthful exuberance. Win Win.

See that business, Start it. That craft, learn it. Do that thing now!

What's the worst that can happen? It'll probably fail and you'll know that you tried your best.( You can blame it on the system, on the government, on your enemies). You can take your L and move on. Then again, it probably won't and that'll be a big win for you. 


Don't let the fear of disgrace stop you because let's be honest, disgrace is like Jollof rice, everyone must have their share. Now, it's up to you to decide how large your portion will be. 

Good luck with that!



January-2021.

Music: I'm currently listening to a lot of Burna boy and Show Dem camp. Mostly music from twice as tall and Palmwine express.

Feelings: I'm currently feeling very anxious about a couple of things I'm working on and my education has been a major concern too. I'm really learning to articulate my emotions and I'm very excited about that.

Thoughts: I'm currently thinking about my life as a Nigerian living in Nigeria and I must tell you, I'm very unimpressed.

Projections: I'm currently looking forward to removing myself from all of the shackles of the Nigerian system.  I wish myself luck.



Till next time,

Your Chief.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Call me Chief.

"Enjoy your life, make sure say you dey always chop life "- Anon. Hello, it's so good to meet you. I'm super excited to finally start this blog after years of procrastinating.   We're meeting for the first time so let me tell you a bit about myself. Contrary to what the title says, my first name is Esther. Other people call me Jacqueline but in this space I'll prefer Chief so please, indulge me.  I think I'm quite opinionated, vocal and maybe interesting . I make jokes and some of them fly, others don't but some people will swear my humour is my best feature. I've lived in Lagos, Nigeria all my  life . I like to consider myself a proper, streetwise Eko girl but I guess the jury is still out on that one.  I'm passionate about women's rights and equality. It's something I'll never ever compromise.  Before the world came to a stop, I was a university student , in her second year studying Accounting.   Sometimes I'm an entrepreneur,

Half time !

Hello YOU! Welcome back to the dom. I'm excited to have you back in our space . Did you bring a friend? I really hope you did. If you didn't, just know I'm judging you right now. 2020 has been such an interesting year. By interesting I mean pretty dramatic and we're just halfway into the year. This year came with a lot of baggage, I think we can all affirm that . We've been through a whole lot collectively. Some of us have fought mental and emotional battles, maybe we won , maybe we didn't , but hey ! We fought . And every other day, we still stay fighting.  When you fight everyday, some days you don't feel up for the battle . For me that day is today . I've lost so much time this year, so much money too. I've had a lot of rejection emails in my inbox , a lot of opportunities I missed and a lot of emotional energy I've lost.  I almost feel like I'm maxed out.  But I've come to realize that sometimes, all you need is a break. It might not

Speaking of Money

"When it comes to Money I dey concentrate" - Burna boy (Yè). The whole idea of money is weird.  I know all there is to know about how it works and all of the "lessons" attached but I still don't get it. I don’t understand how something so valuable can be contained in the most inconsequential form and not lose its value. It doesn't even need a physical currency anymore and it is the singular most important thing in the world. Money doesn't make sense to me but I love it anyway. The fact that I woke up one day in this world (Nobody asked for my permission by the way) and I'm supposed to do whatever to make this money just to get by and live a soft life until the day I drop dead? This is the concept I don't agree to but today is not the day for arguing economical constructs.  Now, the major issue I have with money is how we address it. Nobody ever tells you what you need to know about money, at least, not the important things. For something so vital