Skip to main content

Re: Call me chief.

 “It is a lot better the second time around”.

-Vini Dawson.







It has been too long my dears. So long that it feels like the first time we met. I must admit, I’ve forgotten what this space felt like, how nice it felt to engage you but like home, I’m fitting right in regardless of how long I’ve been gone. Right? I miss this. I miss having a community to report to. So if I’m not too late shall we do this again? For real this time . I promise I won’t run off (for this long at least) okay?

A lot has changed in my life, but definitely not my plan to elope. That grand plan is now a drive. I wake up each day reminding myself that all of my sufferings in Nigeria are closer to the end . I’m tired of the nonsense that is this entire country put together. 

A lot has happened so I’m trying to pick out noteworthy events  so you’re up to date . One of them is that I have picked up a poverty habit . If your chief is in traffic, chances are very high that she’ll rather walk the distance than wait. I’ve found that this is not a normal behavior so I’m opening up to you. It is so off-brand and I'm trying to seek help. This is a safe space yeah ? Pray for me.

Now to the good stuff! I’m reading again. I’ve been unable to do that for a while . For me reading and writing goes hand in hand, like two lovers. If I read a lot, I’ll do a lot of writing. If I’m unable to read, I’ll struggle to write . I started reading recently and I’m so excited. 

I took a trip. I visited Calabar, Cross-river state, Nigeria sometime in September and I had a swell time. I needed a getaway from Lagos and a change of scenery was perfect for that. Although, there’s barely anywhere to visit since Tinapa became a ghost town( our government is so wasteful) but I liked it there a lot.

The governor is quite the visionary, there’s this place called “CALAS VEGAS” which was supposed to be a resort but is actually a small bungalow in the middle of nowhere. Do you get the reference, as in Las Vegas but in Calabar? Eko Atlantic  is shaking please.

 What Calabar lacked in destination, it made up with the food. The delicacies were amazing, the people were so hospitable and boy! they love fitness. Lagos is to traffic as Calabar is to Fitness. I had a great body for the one week I spent there. I stopped exercising shortly after that. I didn’t want to overdo it, you know balance is important.

I miss how much I enjoyed this. I’m a bit overly emotional right now because I’m trying to heal from a self-induced heartbreak but I’ll bounce back . You know I always do .


 Finally, we need to teach ourselves to remember so that we’ll never forget and more importantly so that our history is never erased.

“20-10-2020 Lekki massacre".


Till next time,

Your chief.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Call me Chief.

"Enjoy your life, make sure say you dey always chop life "- Anon. Hello, it's so good to meet you. I'm super excited to finally start this blog after years of procrastinating.   We're meeting for the first time so let me tell you a bit about myself. Contrary to what the title says, my first name is Esther. Other people call me Jacqueline but in this space I'll prefer Chief so please, indulge me.  I think I'm quite opinionated, vocal and maybe interesting . I make jokes and some of them fly, others don't but some people will swear my humour is my best feature. I've lived in Lagos, Nigeria all my  life . I like to consider myself a proper, streetwise Eko girl but I guess the jury is still out on that one.  I'm passionate about women's rights and equality. It's something I'll never ever compromise.  Before the world came to a stop, I was a university student , in her second year studying Accounting.   Sometimes I'm an entrepreneur,

Half time !

Hello YOU! Welcome back to the dom. I'm excited to have you back in our space . Did you bring a friend? I really hope you did. If you didn't, just know I'm judging you right now. 2020 has been such an interesting year. By interesting I mean pretty dramatic and we're just halfway into the year. This year came with a lot of baggage, I think we can all affirm that . We've been through a whole lot collectively. Some of us have fought mental and emotional battles, maybe we won , maybe we didn't , but hey ! We fought . And every other day, we still stay fighting.  When you fight everyday, some days you don't feel up for the battle . For me that day is today . I've lost so much time this year, so much money too. I've had a lot of rejection emails in my inbox , a lot of opportunities I missed and a lot of emotional energy I've lost.  I almost feel like I'm maxed out.  But I've come to realize that sometimes, all you need is a break. It might not

Speaking of Money

"When it comes to Money I dey concentrate" - Burna boy (Yè). The whole idea of money is weird.  I know all there is to know about how it works and all of the "lessons" attached but I still don't get it. I don’t understand how something so valuable can be contained in the most inconsequential form and not lose its value. It doesn't even need a physical currency anymore and it is the singular most important thing in the world. Money doesn't make sense to me but I love it anyway. The fact that I woke up one day in this world (Nobody asked for my permission by the way) and I'm supposed to do whatever to make this money just to get by and live a soft life until the day I drop dead? This is the concept I don't agree to but today is not the day for arguing economical constructs.  Now, the major issue I have with money is how we address it. Nobody ever tells you what you need to know about money, at least, not the important things. For something so vital